This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Saturday, March 01, 2008

So.... where have I been you may ask?

Well, you'll never guess where - Tenerife!!

I went back to the doctors because the pain in my hip/pelvis/side (or wherever) was not getting any better and I was frantic that I would not recover in time for the Marathon. He wasn't very sympathetic and told me that I needed to rest - complete rest - NOT what I wanted to hear!


As luck would have it a few friends from work had booked a one week holiday to Tenerife and there was a spare room in the villa so they invited me along. One whole week of lazing by the pool, occasionally taking a dip to cool off, sea-front walks and meals out - just what the doctor ordered!

This morning I put on my running shoes and with a little trepidation I went for a little jog to test my injury. Three weeks on inactivity and half a stone heavier have taken their toll. I tried to stay light on my feet and ran on the grass whenever I could and to start with all was well, only a very dull ache but it gradually got worse. Not so bad that I had to stop and in fact I could have run on (if my lungs had been up to it!) but decided not to overdo it first run out. I got back, stretched, showered and iced.

I'm really hoping that I won't have any after-effects. There's only six weeks to go and I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm staying realistic and at this point I'm not thinking about finishing times - just hoping that I will be fit and well on the starting line!

1 comment:

Mary Gee said...

Sounds like a fabulous holiday!