This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Monday, February 11, 2008

Stamford 30K

Well I did it!

The weather was absolutely perfect for strolling around in a T-shirt but not so good for running a gruelling hilly 30K. Can you believe it, I actually got sunburn on my shoulders and neck!

It was as tough as I feared - one good thing was it being measured in K's. They come round a heck of a lot quicker than Mile Markers!

I took a couple of Ibuprofen before the race to keep my thigh pain in check but after about 10K I could feel a dull ache which steadily got worse until about 20K when I took a couple more painkillers. The pain didn't go away but at least it didn't get any worse.

I ran the first half of the race well within my expected time but found the second half pretty hard going, especially the last 3 miles. I hung on in there and came home in a time of 2:50 and, surprisingly, I was first Lady V50!

I queued up and had a post-run massage which I think really helped as my legs don't ache today as much as I thought they would. My thigh is incredibly sore and I couldn't sleep very well at all. I've had a quick look on the internet and my symptoms seem to indicate hip bursitis. I'm going to make an appointment with the doc and see if he confirms my diagnosis.

Distance: 30K
Time: 2:50:47
Avg Pace: 9.06

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done Sue for completing such a gruelling race ! Especially with a sore leg. I hope the doc says that all will be ok. Fingers crossed for you ! Sarah

Anonymous said...

First lady in your age group? That is too awesome! Sounds like a very hard race, but you did it well.

I hope the hip will be OK. Take good care of it! If it's bursitis, you may have to rest it a bit. :( Good luck.