This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Monday, November 19, 2007

Riverside Half Marathon

The forecast had been cold, wet and windy! As it happened, it was 2 out of 3 with the rain staying away until late afternoon. I was very unsure about what to wear opting in the end to wear my "garish" running tights and the club short sleeved t-shirt. There were many runners there braving the elements in shorts and vests and I began to doubt myself. I did get hot but was happy in what I had chosen to wear.

The organisation of the half marathon was excellent. They had pacemakers for various times and an electronic clock staked out at half way and it was the best goodie bag ever with a long-sleeved t-shirt, a bag of crisps, a cereal bar and a packet of chewy sweets! 10 out of 10.

I lined up behind the 2 hour pacemakers and felt content to tuck in behind them and not have to do any thinking..... However, after about 1/2 mile I started thinking about the course. I had looked at the map earlier and noted that it was "undulating" with two big hills. If the pacemakers kept the pace at 9 min miles I knew I would struggle with the uphill sections so I pulled ahead a little bit. I was hoping to make up the time on the flat and downhill sections that I would lose going uphill.

It was very open with clear views of the surrounding countryside (and nowhere near the river despite the name of the race!) This made it very windy and it was a struggle in parts to move forward. Despite that, I enjoyed the run and it was a real pleasure that the last two miles were downhill coming into the finish!
Mile splits:
  1. 8.54 Overall time: 1.56.22
  2. 8.18 Avg pace: 8.50
  3. 8.37
  4. 9.12
  5. 9.06
  6. 8.56
  7. 8.22
  8. 8.47
  9. 9.24
  10. 9.13
  11. 8.57
  12. 8.35
  13. 8.37 + 1.19

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one hilly course. You did awesome! That word "undulating" has become one I do not like to see describing a course. :)
Nice job!

Unknown said...

That is a great run Sue ! Well done !! S