This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Variety is the spice of life


I think it is time to put more variety in my training so with that in mind I went to the gym and worked out a weights programme. I'm only doing upper body and stomach as I don't want to work on my legs and make them too tired for running. The programme only takes about 30 minutes but gives my arms, shoulders, chest, back and stomach a good workout. I aim to do this twice a week, Monday and Wednesday mornings before going to work.

On Tuesday and Thursday mornings I am doing 30 minutes of swimming, alternate breast stroke and front crawl. I would love to do all front crawl but don't have the technique yet and need a length of breast stroke to recover my breathing.

I am then running Tuesday and Thursday evenings at the club and a long run on Saturday mornings. This leaves Friday and Sunday as rest days, yippee!

All going well - so far, but then again it is only Tuesday!

Went along to the club tonight and a group of us set off for a 6 mile run. My legs felt strong as I hadn't run for a week. The group fragmented a bit as some went off a bit faster, I hung back and stayed within my comfortable pace. Although I felt strong, it was a warm evening.

It was a very enjoyable run and we all felt so comfortable that we added on a mile loop bringing the total up to 7 miles.

Distance: 7.03 miles
Time: 1:09:32
Pace: 9.53

2 comments:

Mary Gee said...

Sounds great. I need to start doing some other exercises...

Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting to the gym. Don't leave out those legs, though. Running doesn't work all the muscles evenly, so do a little leg work if you have some time.

I just joined the gym after a long hiatus. Now I need to get a program going, too!