This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Bushy 25th Anniversary 10K

Our jogging club has been going for 25 years. That's some achievement! And its going from strength to strength with many new faces joining us all the time.

Today, we held a 10K to celebrate the 25th Anniversary and invited several other jogging clubs in the local area to take part.

My target today was to beat the club record for the 10K in my age category! Time to beat: 55:40 set in 2001. I knew it was possible as I had run a faster time for the 6 mile run at Whissendine on Thursday but unfortunately that run didn't count as it was a 6 mile run and not a 10K.

I set off from the starting line a bit faster than I would normally but felt ok so pushed on. By halfway round I knew I was on schedule and could allow myself to just pull back a bit to keep my breathing under control and not blow out!

I missed the 8K marker and by the time 9K appeared, a fellow Bushfield lady was hot on my tail. Her name is Yvonne and she had just joined the club and looked to be in the same age group as me! Oh no, I wasn't about to put in this effort and then not achieve the club record right on the line. I could tell she was struggling a bit whereas I felt I had just kept enough in reserve to push myself forward. I stretched out and prayed that she wouldn't keep with me. I could see the finishing line ahead and went for it managing to stay in front - this time.

Map of Bushy 25th Anniversary 10K

Distance: 10K

Time: 53:13

2 comments:

Mary Gee said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! A record! That rocks! Keep up the good work. :)