This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Friday, July 20, 2007

5K series and Eye Handicap

I've had two races this week. The first was on Wednesday and it was the third 5K race in a series of 5 over at Ferry Meadows. It was the same course as Race 1 and after a day of rain the sun decided to come out and shine down on all of us. It was going to be far too warm for me to do a PB so I decided to just run the race and try and enjoy it. My friend Rhona had chosen to run this as well, so I kept with her. To be honest, I don't think I could have gone much faster as my legs still felt a bit heavy from Sunday's race.

Distance: 5K
Time: 27:58
Ave pace: 9.00 min miling

The second race was a Handicap race over at Eye. This time, after a day of complete sunshine, the heavens opened about an hour before the race and we had a big thunderstorm! The distance was just under 4 miles and we had each been given a start time based on a previous 5 mile race. My start time was 10:13, with Yvonne just starting off about 20 seconds in front of me and Mandy about 40 seconds.

The weather conditions suited me much better so I put in a bit of an effort for this one. I could see Yvonne had caught Mandy about one third of the way round. I started off quite strong and at one point I thought I was going to catch them up but it was never to be. One guy overtook me and I managed to get back in front of him. Mandy finally pulled away from Yvonne over the last quarter of a mile. I was gaining ground but I just couldn't make up enough. If it had been a longer distance I may have done a bit better but, all in all, I was pleased with my performance.
I don't have the results of my time yet but will update when they come through.

1 comment:

Mary Gee said...

Wow. You are fast!