This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Thursday, November 23, 2006

There is no way I would have gone for a run on Tuesday if I didn’t belong to the running club. It was a cold, wet and windy day and the thought of being out in the cold, let alone running in it, would have been enough to have kept me inside my nice warm house in front of the TV.

After Saturday’s run I had learnt my lesson and wore my long running bottoms. Wasn’t so sure about my top half but decided on a thermal long-sleeved top. I also took along a hat and gloves but decided against wearing them. I made the right choice as I was perfectly kitted out – the wind had dropped quite a bit and it turned out to be quite a pleasant evening.

The group set off together and after an initial chat about forthcoming events the front runners forged ahead and I settled into my nice little pack. We were going a comfortable pace, George and a couple of others had run a half marathon on Sunday so were using this as a recovery run. Because of that we decided to go a bit further at an even pace rather than shorter and faster.

I am so glad to have joined the Club – I am feeling optimistic for the future. If I can keep running through the winter months I am hopeful to see a big improvement in my running times - although I wonder if one gets to a certain age and running faster isn’t much of an option, the old body just won’t comply. We shall see….

Distance: 5.5 - 6 miles
Time: 52:07

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Happy Thanksgiving ! :)

Helene said...

omg I just LOVE the photos on the right the slide show! Very clever and great shots of you! I wish I was in half as good shape!!

Sue said...

East of Oregon: Thanks for passing by - Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Annette: It's been a godsend! I am so glad I joined the club.

Kate: Hi, pleased to see you over here!