This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Week Twelve - Day 4

Just got back from this mornings long run of 10 miles.

Would like to have gone out hard this morning, knowing it was only 10 miles but things didn't work out that way. Rhona and David came along as well, and David's dad Phil - on his bike. Not long into the run we encouraged David to go ahead as we were obviously holding him back - and off he went just a blurred image in the distance!

Rhona and I set off at a good pace but weren't able to maintain it and we settled back into a comfortable plod. It was quite enjoyable, relaxing enough to hold a conversation with next week's half marathon being the main topic.

Rhona and I have different goals - she is happy to just finish the half marathon whereas, if truth be known, I would like to get as near to 2 hours as possible. There - I've said it out loud! I'm not sure how realistic that is but I really want to give it a go. We've decided that we shall stand on the start line together and Rhona is going to try to stick with me for as long as she is comfortable. I do feel a bit guilty about not running at her pace with her but she doesn't seem to mind.

The weather was absoutely perfect today - warm but with a little chill in the air to keep us cool and breezy but not too windy. Here's hoping it will be just like this next week....

Time: 1:39
Distance: 10 miles

2 comments:

Thomas said...

"knowing it was only 10 miles". Well, Sue, you've definitely crossed a threshold somewhere in the last 12 weeks. Once you can use the words "10 miles" and "only" in the same sentence, you're definitely a runner.

jeanne said...

don't feel guilty!! If she's a good friend, she'll understand. You'd do the same for her and wish her well. GOOD LUCK with your time goal! That's an awesome goal.