This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I've been wondering what to do about getting my runs in. It is now too dark in the mornings (a) I seem to be in hibernation mode and am finding it extremely difficult to wake up in the mornings and (b) all the running routes I know are not very well lit - in fact, not lit up at all!

It will soon be too dark when I get home from work to go out then, so I have decided to join the local jogging club. They meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays 6.30 pm. I will then have a bit of company on those dark runs and they will also take me on routes previously unknown to me.....

I was intending to go along this evening, but the weather has been absolutely fantastic today so I decided to get a run in after work. It is still mild enough to be running in shorts and t-shirt - can you believe that!?

I took the pace easy and checked at the first mile marker that I was doing 9.30 pace. That's good, it felt comfortable and easy and I was really enjoying the run. The sun was out, there was a very slight breeze and the trees, Oh the trees, they looked beautiful, all golden, red and orange.

I stayed at that pace for the first couple of miles but could feel myself speeding up a bit - I let myself just go at what was comfortable - it felt so great, I love being able to run and actually enjoy it as well!

I am so excited - I have so many plans for the future.... Rhona and I are talking about "serious" training - getting in some speed work, hill work, etc....OMG just give me a nod if I get too boring, lol!

Time: 40:56
Distance: 4 1/2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about having to rename your blog. I hope my own blog name will become unsuitable on Monday, and I still wouldn't want to change it.

If you want to keep on running in the dark, one solution would be to buy a headlamp. You might feel silly at first, but you soon get used to it.

Sue said...

Thomas, I don't think looking silly would put me off a head lamp, after all, as a runner you get used to people gawping at you! It's more the dark, I'm not good in the dark, I hear and see and imagine all sorts of things....