This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Week Ten - Day 4

There's only 21 days to go until the half marathon -I can say it now without my stomach doing somersalts amd wondering whether I will be able to run that far, for today I ran the distance!

I woke up to a very misty morning - couldn't see too far into the distance. I met up with Rhona and we set off. However, she had run 12 miles on Thursday and had a night of disturbed sleep so she wasn't feeling her best. After a couple of miles the mist had started to clear and it promise to be a lovely day ahead.

Our plan had been to run an extra loop at the start, about 4 miles, and then continue on to my normal 8 mile run. At the 4 mile point Rhona decided that she had had enough and left me to continue the remaining 8 miles on my own. It was okay, I didn't mind - I was able to set my own pace and I always manage to lose myself in my thoughts. I pushed the pace a bit once Rhona had gone and really felt quite good.

I didn't mention it last week but I am still trying out with the jelly babies - they certainly seem to do the stuff, I definitely feel the benefit from them - whether that's psychological - who knows? Doesn't matter though, as long as I believe.

As I was feeling okay, I thought I would add on the loop round the boating lake, which I think is about an extra 2 miles. Just coming out from there a guy was just in front of me so my competitive streak kicked in and I tried to catch him up. I didn't quite manage it but it got me moving that bit faster at a time when I could have started slowing down.

In the past I have worn a heart rate monitor - I gave up on it though because it seemed that after doing all the calculations of resting heart rate, age, etc, it was too difficult to keep my heart rate in the zones for either easy workout, hard workout, etc. It was always too high and to keep it lower I was ending up nearly walking. Also, on checking the monitor once I had finished, it seemed that my heart rate went so high that meant I should have died!

Out of interest I wore one again today. My average heart rate worked out at 148 with a maximum of 227! I went through the monitor looking at the times and heart rates and it worked out like this:

140 for pretty much the first 4 miles
146 after about an hour of running
152 at about one hour 30 minutes
158-160 for the remainder of the run

I noticed that at 1 hr 8 mins of running it suddenly hit 227 for one beat and then immediately went back to 146 - this is exactly what has happened in the past. Anyone got ideas why this should happen and is it something I should be concerned with?

I think adding on the extra two miles was a good thing -I ended up running a bit more than 13 miles so that fills me with confidence *smug smile*

Time: 2 hr 7 mins
Distance: 13+

Show all the statistics for this week's runs

1 comment:

L*I*S*A said...

WOW...you rock! Way to run the distance. :)