This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Monday, July 24, 2006

Week Four - Day 1

"Running is a lot like life. Only 10 percent of it is exciting.
90 percent of it is slog and drudge."
Dave Bedford, English distance runner who
occasionally put in 200 miles a week in training.


Week 4 already!!!! Time's flying by....

I couldn't have my run this morning as I had to take my daughter to the Railway Station as she has gone to visit her cousins in Leeds. The sun has been out in full force again today and so I waited until well into the evening, about 7.45 pm, for it to cool down. It was still hot and humid but at least I didn't have the full force of the sun beaming down on me!

I did my usual (just under) 5 mile route, it's really quite a pleasant run, has a varied terrain and even a long and winding hill that takes me high up into the woods. This evening I felt decidedly vulnerable running through the woods; for some reason, more so than when I go on this run in the mornings. I think this recent news article was preying on my mind.

Maybe the answer is to join a running club - I have thought about it but the local clubs train in the evenings and, although I found it difficult at first, I would now much rather do the run in the mornings... I don't know, I'll see how I feel about it when I get back from holiday.

2 comments:

butterflygirl said...

How about running on a treadmill?

Sue said...

Hi Flygirl

Umm. I do belong to a gym and in the winter use the treadmill and, in itself, it is a good means to an end, but I still get very hot on the treadmill. We do have air con but it doesn't seem very effective. Also, there is a 30 minute time restraint at peak times, but I take on what you say and may have to use the treadmill. At least I have that option....

BTW. Thanks for your encouraging comments *smile*