This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Great Eastern Half Marathon - Oct 2007

I had an early night the evening before the race and slept well.

The first thing I did when I woke up was check to see what the weather was like. It looked promising as it was cool but, of course, it was still fairly early. The race didn’t start until 11 o’clock so there was time for it to change. As it happened, for the most part it stayed cloudy with the sun breaking through intermittently.

I packed my bag checking I had everything I needed but with a niggling feeling that I had forgotten something. As Rhona and I made our way to the start I saw several people eating their bananas and realised that was what I had forgotten to bring. I had planned to have one an hour before the start of the run so we quickly popped into ASDA and bought one. It was only ½ hour until the start and I was a bit worried about eating it so close but decided to have it anyway.

We met up with the other Bushfield Joggers and there was a real buzz about the place. Everyone was excited talked about the times they hoped to run it in. I had written down 9 min mile splits on my hand but wasn’t feeling very confident about being able to maintain them for the whole 13 miles.

We made our way to the start and somehow amongst the crowd of runners, I lost everyone. I made my way to the time slot that I wanted to start from but couldn’t see any other Bushfield jogger. After about a nervous 5 min wait the gun went off. It then seemed like a couple more minutes before we actually started to move and even then very slowly. We eventually passed the start line and the runners thinned out ever so slightly. I tried not to get carried away and go off too quickly.

After checking my watch at the first mile marker I was pleasantly surprised to see I had run it in 8.22 and yet I felt pretty good. I tried to keep my pace the same, pushing myself just outside my comfort zone but maintaining a good breathing pattern. I had taken a bottle of Lucozade Sport Hydroactive to drink as I ran. Even when drinking these type of drinks I find I need the fresh taste of pure water to clear my mouth so I took on water at the drinking stations.

The run was going well, the miles were being eaten up and I was feeling good. My husband was waiting for me at Mile 7 to cheer me on. I had finished my bottle of water around the 5 mile mark and he had another bottle waiting for me.

Around Mile 10 I could feel my legs starting to stiffen up a bit, especially around the groin. Past memories of seizing up at the end of a previous race preyed on my mind so I tried to alter my stride length and vary my posture. I was feeling tired by now but knew that the end was getting closer and closer. Around 11-12 miles a runner tried to jog alongside me but I could feel his pace was slightly faster than I wanted to go. It was a real distraction so I pulled away to the side and let him go off. He pulled ahead of me but then within ½ mile I came across him and he was walking.

For the last mile our club were marshalling and I got tremendous encouragement from hearing them cheer me on. I checked my watch and knew that I had beaten my time from last year and was content with that. However, when I turned the bend into the home straight with the clock above it, I could see that if I pushed a bit harder I might be able to make it under 1.55.

I pushed on, passed the finish line, had my chip zapped with some sort of device and made my way through to the finishing funnel. I remembered not to stop abruptly but keep jogging on the spot trying to let my legs to get slowly accustomed to not moving. I stretched out a bit and grabbed a banana from the side along with a sports drink and went to try to find my husband. At that time I wasn’t sure if I had beaten 1.55 but I didn’t really care, I was elated to have had such a good run.

I am still overjoyed and can’t quite believe it. What pleases me most is the fact that after the run I didn’t feel as ill as I sometimes have done in the past after a race. I put this down to having the banana before the run, keeping myself hydrated with the sports drinks and the banana at the end of the race.


Sorry for the text being centred - couldn't change the setting!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Way to go! Sounds like an awesome run and a goal met. I'm so happy for you. I guess bananas are your magic food. :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic!! That sounds so good.You must be really proud of yourself. S