This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007


It's arrived, my Garmin Forernner 205!

Got it charged up, had a play and then took it out for its first run last night.

It felt a bit strange at first, after all, even though it is neat and sleek, it's still quite a hefty thing to have around the wrist.

It was a big turn out for our running club and yet again another couple of new members. It was a very warm, muggy evening and most of us had turned up in shorts and vest. I took my water bottle along, and it was much needed.

The pace was pretty zippy and I hung in there as usually I am a much slower starter. After a while I settled down and for the next couple of miles it was good. I then found it quite hard going, the sun was draining me of all energy and I longed for the shade of the woods.

I just hung on in there and was so pleased when we got to the finishing straight.

I was keen to get home and upload my run to the MotionBased Agent software that I had previously downloaded. Once done, I was able to see that I had run a total time of 55:07 at 9:12 pace. However, I had a moving time of 55:00 at 9.10 pace (must have been the traffic lights)and I ran a distance of 5.99 miles. Brilliant, no more guesswork.

There are lots of other things you can find out and various ways of seeing the run on satellite maps, street maps, etc. I'm not sure whether these maps can be exported to a blog and would be very interested if anyone else knows the answer to that.

Now, if only it could actually do the run for me......

Time: 55:00
Distance: 5.99 miles
Pace: 9.10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun toy! I keep hoping they'll make it smaller. Let me know if you get used to the size. I'm thinking it might bother me.

Sounds like you're running at a great pace. Keep it up! :)

Mary Gee said...

I LOVE my garmin. I will keep watching you to see if you figure out how to use it. I know I am only using a fraction of what it is capable of doing. I am going to have to devote a day to figuring this out some day. Or maybe you will do it first!

Sue said...

Hi Annette, I don't find the size too cumbersome. Anway, if they made it any smaller, I wouldn't be able to see the numbers on it, lol.

Mary, Yeah, there seems to be so much more to it - hopefully between us we'll figure it out soon.