This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Deeping 10K

Yes, a 10 k race!!

Not at all sure I was ready for a 10K race, I decided to approach it as my usual weekend training run. Rhona wasn't able to come running on Saturday morning due to her participating in the Moonwalk on Saturday night, Well Done Rhona!

So, Sunday morning saw me, Sheila, Laura and Mandy runnning in the Deeping 10K.

Well, whatever happened to the weather! If you have been following me in my quest for mid-life fitness, you will know that I like nothing more than a cool, drizzly weatherfront! Oh no, not today. The "good" weather decided to return - the sun was out with a vengeance.

Great if I had a BBQ to look forward to, but a 10K race?

So, we set off. Didn't see Sheila again until the end! Mandy and Laura were with me for the first 1K. I ran with Ron, good ol' Ron. We had a nice comfortable pace, all looking good. We started off steady, catching and overtaking when we could. At about 4K Ron's shins started playing up. I felt ok and he encouraged me to go on, keeping the pace steady.

I could see Mandy and Laura ahead of me. I kept the same distance between us for the next couple of K's. I could see Mandy pulling ahead of Laura.

I thought I could catch Laura by 8K. At 8K I was just a little behind. I put in a bit of an effort and caught her at 9K. Stayed with her a bit but she was looking to beat her previous 10K time and put in a spurt for the last 1/2 K. I wasn't going to go with her - I had promised myself to not do anything silly - I wanted to fnish this run with a bit extra left and not completely knackered!

I came in just 30 seconds or so behind her. I was pleased with my run. I was able to carry on this afternoon with my usual routine rather than being completely zonked out, which is how I usually feel after a race!

Time: 57:02
Distance: 10K (6 miles)

****

When I went to bed last night, I was very surprised to see I had caught the sun! I knew it was hot, but not that hot!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job on your 10K!!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the training run