This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Well, it's been so long since I was last here, lol.

My recovery period is coming to an end and it's back to work next week. I have an appointment at the hospital on Wednesday 31st Jan for a check-up - I'm pretty sure everything is as it should be - the scar line has healed up very nicely although there is still a certain amount of swelling in the abdomen still, which I guess is to be expected.

Haven't done any exercise since the operation and am very worried about getting back to fitness!

I went along to a new gym yesterday and signed up. My plan is to swim on a regular basis and to do some weight work - so hopefully getting more of a rounded form of exercise rather than just the running. I am definitely returning to the running club on Tuesdays and Thursdays and plan to run my long runs on Saturday mornings.

Whilst at the gym I had a little go on the Treadmill. I had planned to walk but wanted to see how it felt to be running so upped the speed for a slow jog - 12 min pace - and jogged a mile. My stomach felt fine but I was disappointed to note that my knees still felt a bit sore ! I had hoped with six weeks rest from running that they would be sufficiently recovered.

I then went along to the pool but only slowly swam one length as I could feel it pulling on my stomach. I think I shall wait until I have been to the hospital to see the Consultant next week before I begin my return to fitness in earnest.

Watch this space!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're up and about! Good for you for getting into the gym. Take it slow to start and don't stress too much about your knees hurting. It could just be because you haven't been running. (Hopefully!) There always seems to be aches and pains when you get back to running after some time off. Good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. :)

Mary Christine said...

Best wishes to you on your recovery. I will keep visiting to see how you are doing! And thanks for visiting my blog.