This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Sunday, December 10, 2006

I have been so tired and exhausted over the last few days since my run on Sunday that I really wasn't up for running on Thursday. I felt a bit of a cheat as the weather was so bad, very windy and rainy that I wondered if I was just kidding myself or was I really worn out?

On reflection, I probably should have given Tuesday night a miss and gone along on Thursday but hindsight is a wonderful thing!!!

Anyway, with a few days of rest in my legs I went along to our Frostbite league run today. It was at March which is a little village about 45 minutes away. I took Rhona and George with me and met all the other club runners there. We just got there in time to see the Juniors come in - I must admit it brought a tear to my eye - they were so little (ages ranging from 9 - 15) and giving it all they had got. It made me feel very humble and, later on, when I came into the finishing straight I had those little ones in mind and pushed as hard as I could in honour of them.

The run itself was more like cross country - across fields and tracks churned up and making it very hard going. I had intended to "take it easy" today and was wanting to finish in about 45 mins. George and I had had a pre-race decision not to push it too hard but enjoy it.

We were right at the back of the mob when the hooter went and I went off in what I thought was a moderate pace - everyone else went off much faster! After a few hundred yards I decided that I needed to catch them up so put on a spurt and eventually caught them about 1 mile out. They asked where I had been and I said that I thought we were taking it easy!

I tucked in behind George and tried to stick with him. A few of our comrades dropped behind and about mile 3 I just couldn't keep with George - we were going across a very open track with the wind blowing across, it was very, very muddy and really quite hard going.

I always had him in my sights but the mud was just too much for me to cope with (along with the wind). I managed to pick off a few runners in front of me and, all in all, I really enjoyed the run. It was a real change from a road run and perhaps the child in me actually enjoyed stomping through the mud!

Although I did manage to finish in just under 45 minutes it was not as easy as I had anticipated - 45 minutes on a nice flat road run would have been great but this course meant that we had to work extra hard. Just before starting it had also been mentioned to me that my time might be needed for the team event - ohhhh, just a bit of pressure to run harder than I had anticipated....

As I have said, it was a team event and the first 10 from the running club counted - 2 of which had to be lady runners. On this occasion I am proud to say that I was the 2nd lady runner of our club - hooray for the more mature lady runner!

On that note, I bid you a good evening!

Time: 44:53
Distance: a very muddy 5 miles!

No comments: