This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Sunday, December 03, 2006

During the night I could hear the wind howling and the rain beating down - so much so I had to close the bedroom windows!

By the time I got up the weather was still looking dismal - I could see the trees swaying and hear the wind blowing. Not ideal running conditions!

Within an hour or so it seemed the wind was dying down and the rain had stopped. Not quite sure what to wear I put on my Hally Hansen underneath my club vest but decided within minutes that I would be too hot so I discarded the Hally Hansen but stuck with my running tights - I think after last week of running in my shorts and being a bit cold that it is definitely time they were put away.

Rhona and Lindsay were also entered for the run so the three of us travelled together. We were all a bit concerned about the weather conditions and whether we had the "right" clothing on. When we got to the start I also saw Alan and Laura from the running club.

We all lined up together. My plan for this run was to take it easy at the start, not go off too fast and try to maintain pace but, most of all, to enjoy it!

The hooter went and off shot Alan, Rhona and Lindsay. I decided to hold back a bit and warm myself into it. It paid off and just over a mile I caught Rhona up. At mile 3 I overtook Lindsay and just a bit further on from there I managed to catch Alan.

I ran my own race. I kept my eye on the clock and knew that 1:30 was probably within reach as long as I just kept it steady. It was a 2 lap event and I managed to remember where a lot of the second lap mile markers were so pretty much always knew whereabouts I was. There was a fair amount of wind but had a fair share of it behind me and a fair amount of feeling like I was running through a wind tunnel! The sun came out in parts but the rain stayed away. The course was pretty much flat with a couple of underpasses to go through (twice) which were a bit of a killer and there was a stretch of track that was very muddy which was quite hard going but all in all, quite a pretty route, certainly much nicer than the route for the half marathon.

Mile 1 - 9:06
Mile 2 - 8:39
Mile 3 - 8:35
Mile 4 - 8:54
Mile 5 - 8:33
Mile 6 - 8:55
Mile 7 - 9:06
Mile 8 - 8:54
Mile 9 - 9:14
Mile 10 - 8.52

Total: 1:29

I'm very pleased with my time - I was hoping for under 1:30 but had thought the weather conditions were against me. As it's only the start of winter, I guess there are going to be much worse than today to look forward to!

Even more importantly, I'm not feeling ill which was my main aim for today.

BTW: Lindsay, 1:32 Alan 1:33,Rhona 1:37 and Laura 1:42 - subject to confirmation.

LOL. These photo's make it look like it was a beautiful day!

1 comment:

superstar said...

good picture