This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Week Eight - Day 4

Jelly Babies Rule !!!

Someone told me to take a few jelly babies with me when I go for a long run - they will boost my sugar levels and give me a little bit more umpfh... so, with 5 jelly babies safely tucked in my shorts pocket I set off for my 10 mile run

Firstly, the weather was lovely. Not too warm with a very cool gentle breeze and for the first half of the run I didn't see a single soul - very peaceful.

I had given this run a lot of consideration - I wanted to do my 8.2 run and was trying to think of the best way to add on to it to bring it up to the required 10. I added on a loop first which gave me an extra one and half miles so I was only looking for an extra half mile somewhere along the way. I decided that when I got to the rowing lake, that if I felt ok I would take a detour to include it in the my run - I thought this would take me over the 10 miles but if I would see how I felt when I got there.

Things were going really well, I felt good and on looking at my watch I had been running for 62 minutes and I was so surprised - not long ago I would have been dragging my heels willing myself to make it home... maybe those jelly babies were working? So, I carry on and finally get to the rowing lake - crunch time! I decide to go for it - it would probably add on another 15 minutes which would be about one and half miles which I felt pleased about. it would mean that I didn't need to add anything on at the end - which I always find difficult.

I had run out of water by the time I got to the bottom end of the lake and popped into the Rowing Club to top up- I definitely needed that extra top-up - the sun had come out in full force by now and I was very hot - I think I used most of it poured over my head!

So, onwards home - my left knee was beginning to niggle and I could definitely feel the mileage in my hips. One more jelly baby to see me through to the end.

I will certainly be taking those babies out with me again - I don't know if it was eating them that make the run feel easy (I use the term loosely- it was far from easy but not as hard as some past runs have been), lol. All I know is I have just run 11 miles - yahoo!

Time: 1:47:58
Distance 11 miles

Show all the statistics for this week's runs

3 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Great job! You clocked a very impressive time for your 11 miles. Way to go! :)

Thomas said...

I remember once taking a packet of jelly babies for a run and promising myself one every two miles. It went fine initially, but eventually I just felt like I had a lump of sugar in my stomach, and ended up with a still half-full bag when I got back home.

Running 11 miles during training is great, well done. Once you manage that, you are definitely able to finish a half marathon. The adrenaline alone will keep you going until the finish.

Sue said...

The jelly babies seemed to work for me - or was it all in the mind? I only had about 4, possibly 5, Thomas, so I didn't feel they were too heavy in the stomach. Mind you, they did make me a bit thirsty....