This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Week Four - Day 4





Yesterday evening Steve took me out on a bike ride to show me an 8 mile route that he used to run. Parts of it were familiar and interspersed with some of my 5 mile runs but there was a loop in the middle that was new to me. He had his gadget on his bike to measure the distance and I made a mental note of the mile markers. All in all it measured 8.2. I took the camera so that even if you can’t run it with me, you can share in the beauty of my local countryside. Enjoy!

After a disturbed night’s sleep, I woke early. I had set my alarm for 6.30 am but I woke at 6.00 am and decided I might as well get up. That proved to be a good move, as the weather hotted up a bit later.

So, donning headphones and filling water bottle, I set off.

I get to the first mile marker, Oh oh, no stopping there for a rest! Checking my pace, it was 9.35 so, okay, doing well, going steady.

Carrying on down past the river and over the weir. This is my 2 mile marker. I looked at my watch and saw that I had continued at the same pace, so everything going well.

Crossing over the meadow, through the grazing sheep and taking time to look around me. This is a truly lovely run, the countryside is beautiful and almost makes it a pleasure to be running around at this silly hour, lol.

When we were on our bikes last night going over the course, I didn’t quite take in how many hills there were, or rather loooong and winding inclines. The photo’s don’t do justice as they were so long and winding that I couldn’t get the full measure in one shot! Trust me, they were hard work!

At last I reached the 4 mile point – great, from here on now I’m on my way home…. I ran through the most picturesque village which has one of the biggest hills locally (luckily, I didn’t have to run up it - today) but I do find it’s name quite amusing!

Carrying on now, back on familiar territory, I’m running up yet another incline – must be positive and think how good this is for me. There’s then a long stretch of the flat and it’s in the shade, so I managed to speed up a little bit here. This then takes me out on to a road for a while. I hate running on the road, too many cars! Not long after that I’m back in the woods, shade and able to view the local golf course. One or two earlybirds out this morning – seeing a hot, sweaty, red-faced jogger plodding past them can’t have done much for their handicap!

I join up with a previous run I have done and finally know I am on the home run. Would love to have a little cottage here with my boat moored up outside. I am going up the final long stretch home when I see two lady joggers up front, walking, and wiping themselves down with hankies – yes, it has got very hot over the last hour. That’s enough to encourage me to catch up, overtake, and speed (well, plod) off past them.

I’m homeward bound with a sprint in my step – lol, if only. In truth, I’m pushing it now, I can see my street, my house, my home…. aaahhh…. Made it!

The run: 8.2 miles
The time: 77.24

Is it a sin to feel so pleased with oneself? I expect so but I hope someone up there will forgive me this time, lol.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Love the photos, Sue. I've got a template ready so you can display your running stats in your blog. If you let me have your email address I'll send it to you.

Steve Smedley

butterflygirl said...

bear the heat...another wave is coming