This Blog started out as a record of my efforts to compete in the Gt Eastern Half Marathon 2006. Since then I entered but had to withdraw from Flora London Marathon 2008 due to injury. After having to take months off to recover I am now ready and willing to become a runner again!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Progress to date

I've actually entered the half-marathon this week, so it's official. I do wonder what I have let myself in for, and why I even thought it was a good idea!

Training schedule

1 Week 3 July
4 M, 5 M TT* , 4 M, 6 M, 19 miles total

2 Week 10 July
4 M, 5 M , 4 M , 7 M , 20 miles total

3 Week 17 July
4 M, 4 M TT , 5 M , 7 M , 20 miles total

4 Week 24 July
5 M , 5 M , 5 M , 7 M , 22 miles total

Holiday
Holiday

5 Week 14 August
4 M, 4 M , 4 M , 6 M , 18 miles total

6 Week 21 August
4 M, 5 M TT , 5 M , 7 M , 21 miles total

7 Week 28 August
5 M, 4 M , 5 M , 9 M, 23 miles total

8 Week 4 September
5 M, 5 M TT, 5 M, 10 M, 25 miles total

9 week 11 September
5 M, 6 M , 5 M , 11 M, 27 miles total

10 Week 18 September
5 M, 5 M TT, 4 M, 12 M, 26 miles total

11 Week 25 September
5 M, 5 M,5 M, 13 M, 27 miles total

12 Week 2 October
4 M, 5 M TT, 6 M, 12 M, 27 miles total

13 Week 9 October
3 M, 3 M , Rest, 13 .1 Race, Total 19.1

* Time trial

Time to recap. I think, all in all, my first week hasn't gone too badly. I've actually managed to get out there for 4 runs, something I haven't done in a long time. I think my distances have all been a bit short but it's still more than I was doing before. I feel okay, I'm a bit tired but not too bad. My legs feel quite strong, I've had a few headaches but that's all down to being dehydrated, I guess. The weather is my worst enemy!

I've been on to the website for the latest information and I see that they are intending to hold runs once a fortnight on a Wednesday evening, so on those weeks I will probably use that as my long run.

My alarm also arrived this week. I looked at all the options for safety and felt that, in reality, I was more likely to get injured and stuck out on my own, than I was attacked - I hope with all my heart neither option occurs! - so ordered one of these. It's easy to wear, just fitting onto the wrist with velco and easy to use, if necessary.

Steve went out this morning and measured my runs - some good news *smile* and some bad *frown*

Bad news - my 4 mile runs measured approx 3.7 and my 5 mile run measures at 4.5 - thought they were a bit short, drat! I know how to add on a bit so will start doing that extra bit from tomorrow.

Good news - my 6 mile run measured that distance so taking off the 3 extra minutes that it took me when I went wrong, I ran 6 miles in just under 56 minutes.

Me, Steve and Ashleigh went out on our bikes this afternoon and Steve showed me the route I should have taken for my 6 mile run - or, as I now know, was longer than 6 miles - it actually measured just under 8!!! Thank goodness I went my way!!!

3 comments:

butterflygirl said...

Hey, shouldn't you still be training on your two-week holiday?

Sue said...

LOL - Oh,you weren't meant to notice that, i was just trying to slip it past you! I'll take my running shoes, but wouldn't be surprised if they don't even make it out of the suitcase!

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»